- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons bourbon or Apple Bourbon (see below for recipe)
- 2 3×1/2′ strips lemon peel
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Stir honey and water in a 2-cup measuring cup until honey dissolves. Add bourbon (or better yet, Apple Bourbon, in which case you’ll use 1 Tbsp. honey). Divide between 2 Toddy glasses. Twist a strip of lemon peel over each drink, then add to glass. Stir each with a cinnamon stick and serve.
- To make Apple Bourbon, combine a 750-ml bottle of bourbon, 4 cored, sliced Fuji apples, and 4 cinnamon sticks in a pitcher. Cover; chill for 3 days. Strain and sip of use in recipe above.
* * *
*This recipe lists rum (since that’s how it’s done), but I like switching it out with bourbon. Maybe it’s a crime. Do it to your taste. Here’s an example called a Stormy Whiskey.
- 2 ounces Gosling’s Black Seal rum (You can substitute another dark rum such as Myers’s.)
- 6 ounces ginger beer (You can make your own ginger beer.)
- 1 lime wedge
- Place several ice cubes in a tall glass and add the rum.
- Top with the ginger beer, add the lime wedge, and stir.
* * *
- 2 fl oz Jameson Irish whiskey
- ½ fl oz Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ fl oz Sugar syrup (1 water : 2 sugar)
- ¼ fl oz Pomegranate (grenadine) syrup
- ½ fl oz Soda (club soda) (optional)
- SHAKE first four ingredients with ice and fine strain into chilled glass. TOP with soda.
* * *
- 2 fl oz Dewar’s White Label Scotch
- 1 fl oz Disaronno Originale amaretto
- STIR all ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled glass.
* * *
- 3/4 ounce bailey irish cream
- 3/4 ounce Kahlua
- 4 ounces hot coffee
- whipped cream
- Pour Baileys and Kahlua into Irish coffee glass.
- Fill glass with hot coffee.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.
*Top with cinnamon. I like mine a little stronger, so I add Jameson to it. Make sure to use a quality, rich coffee. I had this last New Year’s and thought I’d kill over from all the deliciousness.
* * *
What are some of your favorite whisk(e)y cocktails? What creations have you concocted?
Speaking of concoctions, try making your own lipstick to kiss your honey with when the ball drops.
Share what you know in the comments below, and Happy New Year!
Tiffany Chaney is a poet, a witchy woman that still swings on the swing set and wishes on stars. She suggests you try it sometime. She writes articles and a Weekly Tarot column on Sundays for Luna Luna Mag. Snag your reading here. Her poetry collection Between Blue and Grey won the 2013 Mother Vine Award for Best in Poetry. Discover more about her writing at tiffanychaneycom. Now, crank up the volume to the tune playing in your head and dance to a Mad Girl’s Love Song.